When companies like water utility companies have unfair advantages,
because of the nature of their monopoly, the best way to protect the
consumer from extortionist practices is regulation.  The regulatory
protection is in place to prevent the monopoly from charging exorbitant
prices for a necessary server, so the regulation actually reduces the
cost of providing the service and the cost to the consumer of obtaining
the service.  In cases where monopolistic advantage is not inherent, the
invisible hand of competition prove more than adequate to keep cost and
prices under control.

I believe the health care industry has taken on many of the
characteristics of a monopoly, and thus should be either regulated, or
forced into a more competitive environment.

Regards,

LelandJ