>Not true, drug companies still develop new drugs, the government buys
>the drugs from the drug companies, they are just at a negotiated price.

>Glaxo Smith Kline, Welcome, Astra Zenica, Bayer, UCB etc all European
>drug companies all make profits all develop new drugs.

>Yes some drugs cost less than the $12 prescription price but some cost
>more, you just pay a set price.

They wouldn't tell you that if they didn't want you to believe it.  The
pharmacuetical business is amazingly complex and regulated.  Along with the
regulation from the government is the fear of lawsuits by predatory lawyers.
Because of this, bringing a new drug online costs a rediculous amount of money,
hence robbing the companies of the ability to recoup their costs in a timely
manner would dampen the incentive to develop more new drugs.

Having said that, I also believe they are greedy SOBs gaming the system.
However, without the profit motive, little of value would be accomplished in a
reasonable time frame.  It has been said that a nationalized health care system
would have the efficiency of the post office and the compassion of the IRS.
The temptation to keep costs down by delaying expensive care until the
expiration date of the patient would be just too great for the bureacratic
mindset.

As many problems as we have with our system, I would take it any day over one
where some bureaucrat makes decision concerning my health.  Govt people think
differently than normal people.  Take the No Child Left Behind Act (yeah, I
know where it came from), in practice, it brings the class down to the lowest
common denominator as teachers have to spend time pushing ropes with kids who
don't want to even be in school and others who can accomplish something are
neglected.

Govts are incapable of setting logical priorities.  Cancer and heart disease
are far bigger killers than AIDS, yet because there is a whiny constituency for
this disease, and they call anyone approaching the question without their
emotional distress a bigot... politicians and charities cave in and push
contributions to this type of research and treatment beyond what the numbers
would call for.

A pox upon all who would control us through the health care system.

--
Larry Miller

multipart/mixed
  multipart/alternative