Ted Roche wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Whil Hentzen
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  Thinking it was a tool for folks who weren't grown up enough to use
>>  MySpace or texting each other on their Barbie Cell Phones, I ignored the
>>  whole thing for a while.
>
> I'm still thinking that.

You've always been the slow one in the group. We still like you.

> I've got Pidgin (next-gen GAIM)  set up for one of my current
> projects, and while IM is generally useful, there can be annoying
> interruptions that break the Flow(tm) programmers need so much.
> Noobies who want their hands held instead of RTFM. Chatty folks who
> just want to send pointers to their latest joke find, six months old.
> One who wants to be My Friend (eww). Is Twitter better than IM?
> Differenter?

Twitter isn't IM. I don't do IM at all, I've always felt it's like a
more intrusive version of email. (Getting a phone call from someone
asking if you got their email... that they sent 30 seconds ago.) IM is
an interruption.

Twitter, OTOH, is a way to check on things^H^H^H^H folks while you're on
hold or listening to a voice mail where they haven't gotten to the point
yet.

>>  I'm having trouble figuring out how to do several
>>  disjointed groups. IOW, a group of Fox developers, a group of local
>>  devs, a group of book authors geographically dispersed, that sort of
>>  thing. Anyone? Anyone?
>
> Looking forward to hearing more about this.

I've done a bit more research, and it looks like... my pre-disposed
paradigm isn't correct. OK, I want to follow Al and Bob, both college
buddies of mine, both with kids and families and living
godknowswherenow. And Carla and Donna, former roommates of mine who are
now Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, who I also don't see hardly at all.

And Edgar and Frank, Fox developers I've known forever, but who frequent
The Site Which Shall Not Be Named, so I've sort of lost touch with them.
And Gloria and Henrietta, a couple of local developers.

I can add all 8 to my 'following' list, and keep track of what's going
on with them, whether they 'post' (I think the term is 'tweet', which
sounds sort of sappy) hourly or weekly.

And they can follow my adventures as a Dork About Town as they want,
minute by minute or month by month.

Feels a lot like college, where you catch up with your roommates or
dormmates or fraternity brothers on a catch-as-catch-can basis.

The issue I was worried about... on my page, Al and Bob and Carla and
Donna and Edgar and Frank and Gloria and Henrietta all show up. So Al
can see that I'm following Donna and that Frank is following me and so
on. Is there some potential pollution going on there, between different
groups of folks I'm following?

Kind of like an unintentional 'Linked-in'. Don't know what to think
about that yet.

There's the option to go private. Haven't explored that yet. Need more
data. More da-------ta.

Whil