>Do any of you have experience with any of the Brother laser printers or
>have an alternative recommendation in the same price/feature set window?

Sorry to respond so late.

We have been using Brother black & white laser printers for a few years. We
started with the HL-1440. That was a tank--I've only had two of them fail
in the 5 or so years we've had them--and those were mechanical failures
accompanied by quite dramatic grinding noises in the paper transport.

When that model became unavailable, we went with the HL-2040 at the same
price point. I've been much less happy with those--I've had about 5 of them
fail--they stop recognizing paper or full toner cartridges, and nothing can
be done.

That model was recently discontinued so we are now buying HL-2140s. It
remains to be seen if they will be an improvement.

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org