> > ...until 2015, at least 7 years... and I
> > truly believe more and better options will emerge during this time.
>
> Of course they will. I'm just saying that for my business, I can't
> wait that long. Fox *is* dead in the marketplace for new custom
> software. My marketplace has spoken.

I agree that the market for new custom VFP work is dead, perhaps baring
an exceptional case here and there.

However, the market for existing products that have already been paid
for is another story, as I've seen as recently as last week. This
customer will get *at least* 7 years mileage from his $3k (+ annual
maint) purchase and I don't think anyone will say he didn't get a good
deal. Moreover, when the 7 years is up, we'll by that time have a way
devised to carry him forward for the next 7+.

> For my friend in his commercial application, it was and is a very
> competitive market. Competitors were eating him alive for
> *new sales*  at first when he was still DOS. After he rewrote it,
> competitors were sniping and winning that he was still Windows-only
(mostly for the
> Web component of it -- remember when folks were scrambling for ISP's
> that would load Fox/WebConnect?) Also winning the "dead" Fox argument.

My app uses the Internet today for these reasons:

1. delivering maintenance releases
2. customer can publish reports to web pages
3. remote console support (VNC)

None of these uses are threatened. I am open to other possibilities,
depending on what customers want, so it's possible I may wind up using,
say, Python at some point. For now, I'm working on a QuickBooks
interface because it's been asked for.

> The buyers are always right when they have the money and we
> want some of it.
>
> Your market may be different.

See above

Bill