On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Paul McNett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  10 years, eh? You don't think that next year people will be asking why
>  your app needs to be run in 32-bit compatibility mode? Or in two years
>  why it doesn't run on Mac or Linux, or can't be made to run at
>  reasonable cost on the web?

Happened to me 5 years ago..

>  We all made the mistake of sticking with FoxPro when Microsoft acquired
>  it. We all should have known better than that, in retrospect.

Bah! Hyperbole. MSFT took a struggling little Ohio company that was
having a hard time getting a Windows product out the door, threw money
and resources at them, and shipped the best WIndows desktop
development environment ever created. VFP peaked with version 6. Those
who jumped ship in 1994 missed out on ten years of feeding at the
trough.

>  The open source option will, by definition, never be taken away from us.
>  Come join us.

It's All About Choice. If you choose to keep selling rich-client apps
to your clients who are tied to Windows, you might be able to squeeze
10 or 15 years out of FoxPro. And maybe one of the VFP-To-DotNet
solutions will mature into a great migration path. But you've cut
yourself off from a lot of really interesting opportunities in the
rest of the world. I hope it works out well for you.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC