Rick,

> The best Q/A person I have ever worked with made it his goal
> to force at least one developer to breakdown in tears every
> day <g>. Our customers *and* our developers (with a couple of
> exceptions) appreciated this guy (nicknamed - Testing Sith)
> because the software was way more solid than it would have
> been if we did not have him around.

I've had close working relationships with software testers, and I would
say that each successful experience was characterized at least by:

- a friendly but very professional relationship between us

- the person is basically intelligent and curious

- the person is not being afraid to say things that I (and/or others)
might not want to hear. His design wasn't to hurt feelings, but to make
things right and deliver a good product to the customer. Granted, a
son-of-a-bitch would fill this role, but I don't believe that's
necessary, and is actually counter-productive because relationships with
such people eventually sour. It really boils down to mental attitude.

- due diligence. He followed through on details (lists, line-items, fact
checking)

- he didn't mind putting the hours in, because this work is very time
consuming

Bill