One other thing worth a mention is that each record has 200 fields and is
almost 3k per record.

Now if I
SELECT OrderNo from Orders INTO TABLE OrdPOOnly
Then select from there all is fine and works at a fast speed suggesting that
the index is than being used.  Problem is that this OrderPOnumOnly is again
taking around a minute to extract.

Nick