I don't think the blame for the financial crisis can be assigned to one
particular political party or even particular individuals. It was a kind
of mass psychology in which greed and selfishness drove an entire
industry into near ruin. Below is my understanding of what has occurred:

A Credit Default Swap, (eg CDS), is a kind of derivative where a lender,
who issues notes, bonds, mortgages, etc, swaps the risk the borrower
will default on the loan to a third party, like a bank or insurance
company, for a sum of money. For example, if "First Mortgage" finances
"home owner", it might ask "Big Bank" to assume the risk that the home
owner will default on the loans and First Finance will pay Big Bank a
fee to the credit default swap. Thus the risk that the home owner will
default on the mortgage is swapped to Big Bank, and First Mortgage pay a
sum of money for the mortgage default protection.

Another swap occurs if home owner defaults on the mortgage held by First
Finance. Big Bank will pay First Mortgage the face value of the
mortgage, and First Mortgage will swap, (eg sign over) the toxic
mortgage to Big Bank along with the house which serves as collateral for
the mortgage.

The original intent of the CDS was to create an instrument that would
facilitate the financing of housing by having a third parties assume the
risk of loan defaults, like default on mortgages, notes, bonds, etc,,
but what seems to have really happened in the housing crisis is mortgage
companies and other mortgage lenders started writing risky loans;
because, they had their backs covered by third parties who had assumed
the risk of mortgage defaults.

The housing market went through a wonderful boom, but eventually a
bubble began to appear. Everyone in the housing market wanted the boom
to go on forever, including builders, real estate agents, mortgage
companies and banks; because, everyone was making tons of money. Towards
the end of the housing bubble, mortgages were created with interest
rates even below prime, (eg sub-prime mortgages). The prime interest
rate is a very low, favourable rate banks charge each other for funds.
During the housing bubble, sub-prime interest rate were necessary in the
mortgages to get payments down to a point where the borrower would
qualify for the loan, and to tease the borrower into buying a house.
During the bubble, the Federal Reserve Chairman assured congress and the
American people that the housing bobble was contained, even as the
building industry continued to crank out houses. The sub-prime mortgages
were variable rate with an interest rate time bomb that adjusted the
interest rate back to normal as some point. When the interest rate time
bomb went off, the borrower’s monthly mortgage payment increased
substantially, even doubling or tripling, which drove many borrowers
into default on their mortgages.

The Housing bobble eventually burst, and borrowers began defaulting on
mortgages in droves, which depressed housing values causing even more
defaults in a kind of domino effect, and the housing industry had way
over built even before the bubble burst. I’m sure the CDS problem was
aggravated by others who really didn't’t have any mortgage loan risk to
swap to third parties, but only wanted to gamble on a housing market
bust, but to what extent these kind of mortgage CDS(s) factored into the
financial crisis, I’m not sure.

Countrywide Financial was a chain of 200 or 300 saving and loan
companies, sometime called thrift institutions, located in California
and Nevada. Countrywide was one of the first mortgage companies to get
in trouble writing risky mortgages, including ARMs, (eg adjustable rate
mortgages), which provided options where the borrower could elect to
make payments on the principal only or even make payments that didn't
even cover the monthly principle, but with a provision that would reset
the mortgage at least once every five year to the going interest rate
and a payment that would amortize the debt. When the interest rate time
bombs started going off, Countrywide found itself facing bankruptcy, but
was eventually merge with Bank of America, who probably held most of
Countrywide's credit default swaps, so the big banks that were heavy
into derivatives like CDS ended up holding the bag. Now its just a
matter of getting people into the houses so the big banks can retire the
old mortgages in default with new mortgages that are performing on the
underlying real estate collateral.

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_00/ci091500.html

Regards,

LelandJ