Whil Hentzen wrote:
> 1. Put the runtimes in the PF folder along with the EXE. This is the Q&D
> mechanism...

This is what I would do. And note that the user will still not have write
access
here. If you want the user to be able to install your app without administrator
access, you can install it to their profile directory, such as c:\Documents and
Settings\Joe User\Program Files\The Great Application

It makes admin so much easier knowing that your program hasn't messed with the
system
directory. Stay away from the system directory if you are able to.

> 2. Put the runtimes 'where they belong' - Windows System - and make the
> user deal with UAC in Vista (they have to type in the admin password to
> get write access).

The runtimes belong wherever you, the packager, deem they belong. They are
appropriately placed in the same directory as your application.

Putting them in the system directory risks them getting overwritten by another
app's
installer, which may use different versions of the same file. And since it is
the
custom in Windows to use the same filename for different versions of a library,
DLL
Hell could ensue.

Just put all your dependendies in the {PF} directory. Life will be much easier.

Paul