The GM TV commercial said nothing about paying the government loan from
earnings.  Congress approved funds to help GM in its day to day
operations.  The fund were place into escrow.  GM can request the funds
as needed, and have them release for operations, I assume, with
authorization from the escrow agent, (eg USA government).

Using funds from the escrow account still reduced GM's overall debt to
Americans, which is a good thing; since, the total obligation to the
people of America include the money in escrow and other debt owed to the
USA government.  Therefore, GM was able to reduce it debt to the USA
government by simply returning some of it.

The 50 billion, (eg 20 billion loan plus 30 billion purchase in the new
GM), is not a debt.  It is an investment in non-voting stock in GM, (eg
USA equity in the new GM Corporation).

Regards,

LelandJ