On 04/27/2010 11:50 AM, Stephen Russell wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Leland F. Jackson, CPA
> <lela...@mail.smvfp.com>  wrote:

>>> -----------------------
>>>
>>> I watched the movie "Gangs of New York" this past weekend and thought
>>> of this thread and much of what Ed is talking about now.
>>>
>>> BTW, not a good movie either.
>>>

>> I really enjoyed the movie "Gangs of New York (2002)".  It won two
>> Golden Globe" awards and was nominated for 10 Academy Awards, including
>> best picture.
>>
>> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217505/
>>
> ------------
>

> I expected Martin Scorsese to keep the burn scar on the face of the
> actor for more then 2 min of the movie.  I was suposed to be a
> compelling moment in building the character.  Maybe DiCaprio's
> contract said he couldn't look ugly for more then 2 min?
>
> It had a great amount of comedy.  When the fire departments showed up
> and it turned into a fight I had to laugh.  Then they struck the poor
> SOB whose house was next to the one on fire.
>
> This film is probably one of Scorsese's weakest, but that is my opinion.

The theme of the movie was about the conflict between the working class
Irish immigrants, "The Rabbits", and the "Natives", (eg regular working
class Americans), of New York in the middle 1800s.  The two fashion
formed gangs to protect themselves and their interests, so the theme
fits right in with todays "immigration reform", including religious
struggle for power with "The Rabbits" being Catholics, and the "Natives"
being protestant.  There were also political overtone with each faction
trying to elect individual that would best represent their respective gangs.

The movie did a good job of depicting the period of the 5 corners of New
York in the 1800s, with all its divergence, violence, corruption, and
struggle for power.  The gangs raged war with crude weapons like bats,
knives, bare hands, and other home made weapons, etc; since, firearms,
like those used during the civil war, were illegal.

It was a good movie.

Regards,

LelandJ