On Apr 27, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Nicholas Geti wrote:

> Thomas Jefferson said that people should regularly take up arms when the
> government becomes suppressive.

        I don't know why, but it always amazes me when people totally miss the
point of a thread, and go off on their own personal tangents. Hardly anyone has
commented on the original idea: imagine if the people calling for armed
revolution were black?

        Certainly up until the civil rights act (and even after that, in much
of the country), blacks could certainly claim an oppression far greater than
anything the current teabaggers have faced. Imagine if thousands of blacks
converged on Washington, DC, armed with automatic weapons: do you think for a
second that people (actually, *white* people) wouldn't be terrified and calling
for police and/or military protection?

        Last time I checked, we can still organize, run for office, and vote.
Jefferson was talking about non-elected governments, such as the King, imposing
their will on people who have no say in the matter. What we have today is a
bunch of whiners who cry "oppression!" when they lose an election, and the
"other side" gets to call the shots for a while. Losing an election is part of
democracy; if you consider that suppressive, well, you're gonna be miserable
until you are king.

-- Ed Leafe