Hi Allen,

Throwing some thoughts out:

For in-house, if the budget is there, you might want to take a look at IBM
blade servers.
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/bladecenter/   I have no experience with this
equipment, but it looks good, runs VMWare and is modular by design.

And consider a "cloud" server, such as RackSpace
http://www.rackspacecloud.com/ or IBM http://www.ibm.com/ibm/cloud/

In "blue sky" (sometime in the future) mode, I've been thinking about a
combination. Assuming I will be able to keep my in-house machine in sync
with it's cloud server counterpart then my data is still in my possession at
all times, and (assuming I keep good backups of my in-house server), no
matter what happens to the 'cloud' machine, I can recover.

This being the case, then time-wasters like Internet bugaboos, bandwith,
load balancing, performance, and other datacenter operations are handled by
the cloud provider and all I have to do is keep a (relatively inexpensive)
in-house machine running and backed up. The idea is that less attention to
these issues means more time for customers and products (unless, of course,
these issues are your business :)

Bill