Multimedia encoding, decoding, transcoding, editing, etc is one area
where a multicore cpu can really reduce the time it takes to process
video, provide the application uses them.  I'll need to check my "system
monitor" in Fedora 11, the next time I'm processing video, to see if the
media applications I'm using are taking advantage of two or more of my
Phenom II x4 cpus, (eg cpu0 through cpu3, I believe).  The "System
Monitor" show percent of cpu usage for each of the four cores.

In researching all this stuff, I noticed AMD has come out with a new
Phenom 6-core, that I was considering for upgrade to my M4A78T-E
motherboard brought last year.  AMD has a BIOS upgrade that would allow
the new 6-core Phenom to run on my motherboard, and it only cost about
$210.00,  LOL , but after reading and thinking on it, I've decided to
hold off for the next great thing.

My desktop system is fine to run my Apache web server and PostgreSQL
database server, as there is never anywhere near a full load placed on
them, so I'm good.

Regards,

LelandJ