Excellent! I wasn't aware that set profile would work with runtime.
    Unfortunately, I'm already aware of the exact line of code that
    causes the slow down, but, I guess this will confirm.

    Based on your statements, I'm wondering if perhaps I installed VFP9
    without the SP2 update. I'm also going to try reducing the
    physical memory on the workstation from 4GB to 2GB.

    I'm also thinking about trying

    -- let the form instantiate without loading the SKU data

    -- fire a timer event 30 seconds after the form has loaded to add
    the data to the combo on the ctGrid

    -- measure the time required

    I suspect I'll see no change.

    Currently I have a form manager object that manages all inter-form
    communications, creation and destruction. I'm considering
    instantiation of the form during the program start up, leaving
    .visible=.f., and then just bring it forward and set .visible=.t.
    when it is needed. Maybe by shifting the memory intensive activity
    to a different part of the application, it will "hit" the memory
    manager differently.

    I've already proven that the same code, same data, same everything
    on a single form, by itself, in the SLOW scenario is fast. Eurico
    had suggested breaking the form out into its own EXE, but that would
    eliminate too much functionality by isolating the form from
    communication with all the other forms.

    When straws are all you have left to grasp at...grasp away!

    Mike