Boyko Bantchev wrote: "I am not sure that 'cm' or other unit designations have
to do with conventional or other algebraic notation, but if they do, and if you
draw parallels with J, what in J corresponds to 'cm'? Also, what is 'the J
convention for omitting parentheses' and how is it 'better'?" Well, 'cm' is a
product, c*m, where c=.0.01 and m is a meter. The conventional rule is that
multiplication is done before addition and exponentiation is done before
multiplication. The square centimeter, cm^2=(c*m)^2 is an exception from the
rule. The J convention is that expressions are evaluated from right to left:
a*b+c   means   a*(b+c). It is better because is is simpler and more general.

- Bo