At 10:46 AM 2/28/2002 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Arcs are known to be fatal to a board outline. Protel apparently doesn't
>handle them correctly.

The autorouter does not presently handle them correctly. The 3-D viewer was
more recently written, however, so it is surprising that it does not handle
arcs, if that is the source of the problem. It's not *too* surprising,
however, the calculational problems of working with arcs are much more
severe than with track, where the endpoints are defined in the primitive
itself. Arcs are not like that.

Apparently the 3-D viewer is looking for coincident endpoints to validate
that the outline is patent, and it is not going to find them, perhaps, if
arcs are involved. Instead it uses, according to the error message that was
reported (I have not verified this) a "calculated" boundary. I'd expect
that calculated boundary to be just fine in most cases.

So what do we do with arcs in an outline? A fairly simple solution is to
reduce them to line segments. One way to do this is to photoplot the
outline using absolute coordinates, delete it, and import it back from the
gerber. This will produce results which are indistinguishable, I'd expect,
from keeping the original arcs, except that the outlines in the PCB file
will now match exactly the outlines on the final plots, and the autorouter
should be happy, and likewise, I'd think, the 3-D viewer. But with the 3-D
viewer it is not so important, I expect.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA