Comment #18 on issue 493 by xiaof...@google.com: protobuf-java (2.5.0) GeneratedMessage#getUnknownFields() not implemented

Hi bacaruk,
It seems the problem you mentioned can be applied to any library. For example, suppose you open-sourced a library some_library version 1.0 and then upgraded it to some_library version 2.0. How would you combine a third-party library A using version 1.0 with another third-party library B using 2.0 in the same project?

I agree that making generated code of 2.4.1 compatible with runtime 2.5.0 (or vice versa) will help in some ways, but it would requires a significant change/redesign of the protobuf library to guarantee such compatibility. In the future when we need to make significant changes to protobuf (or implement it for new languages) we can consider this but for now it's not worthwhile to re-architect protobuf implementation solely for this purpose.