Comment #22 on issue 493 by sjl...@gmail.com: protobuf-java (2.5.0) GeneratedMessage#getUnknownFields() not implemented
https://code.google.com/p/protobuf/issues/detail?id=493

We do see one other issue regarding the compatibility between 2.4.1 and 2.5: TextFormat.print***() methods changed from taking Message as an argument to MessageOrBuilder. This causes a NoSuchMethodError when the versions are mismatched.

We had to patch it by overloading and adding back the old methods on top of 2.5.

FWIW, this is one of the most frequent (and most painful) user code issues we encounter with Hadoop 2.