On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Phil,
>
> The only shared-object in that list that is a proper "library" is
> libqpid-proton.so.  The others are extension modules for their various
> scripting languages.  I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the naming
> conventions are dictated by the scripting language's extension mechanisms.

That's correct, at least for ruby and python the C extension import
mechanism searches for "<module-name>.so", and the reason there is an extra
underscore in the python case is that swig autogenerates python wrapper
code and so there are actually two modules produced by swig. The cproton
module (pure python, but generated), and the _cproton module, a C extension
module that is an implementation detail of the cproton module. I would
guess there are similar reasons for perl and java as well, but I don't know.

--Rafael