On Thu, 2014-12-11 at 17:11 -0500, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 04:16:29PM -0500, Clebert Suconic wrote:
> > Rebasing and pushing is not a good option IMO. We have been using pull
> > requests from GitHub and pushing them through Apache. It's working very
> > well for us.
> >
> > Committing directly to Apachea may get you these issues.
> >
> > We can provide you guys more information on how we are doing on activemq6
> > if you are interested.
>
> Additionally, while working on a task branch, to resynch with master do
> a rebase:
>
>  $ rebase -i master
>
> rather than merging master down onto your task branch. I saw a *lot* of
> that while examining the merge commits. Rebasing is by far one of the
> most awesome features of git.

I agree and disagree  with this simplistic position.

If (and only if) your task branch is yours and yours alone and no one
has ever relied on it then you can safely rebase it. Actually I find
that rebasing is a lot more useful to get my commits in a logical
sequence of smaller working commits (by using rebase -i).

On the other hand merging topic branches into master is also perfectly
sensible to finish off work on a topic branch especially a long lived
one.

A long lived topic branch will necessarily have some level of merging
from master to keep it up to date.

On the other hand I agree that merging from master just before merging
to master is irritating and pointless.

Andrew