Yes Command 1 on the numpad will open the transport window for you no
matter what window you are in.
make sure after interacting with the midi cluster the conductor button
is d selected.
As far as Automating you can find this by interacting with your
prefered auto track.
I think its the button right passed your output button.
click the button and you can choose from write/touch/lach or read.