Ok, I appear to have it working here.  Changes i had to make.

First off, in Edit view. Go to the edit mode cluster and interact with it.
Generally u will probably want grid mode (if when u cut u want the silence to
be left there) or Shuffle mode (if you want it  to move the audio uafter the
cut up to fill in the gap, for like editing podcast, etc).

Secondly find the cursor tool cluster and interact with it.
You want to select the selector tool. Also you want to select link timeline and
edit selection, and link edit and track selection.

Once i made these changes i was up and running, the slash key works like it
should and so did the up and down arrows

Now if only i could figure out what settings to change to make tapping the
number 1 and 2 keys on the numpad move me by measure, I'll be set..