Hey steve,

You don't need to go through the trouble of navigating to the edit mode and
tool clusters. There are keyboard shortcuts for that. For example, f1 through
f4 selects the edit modes. f1 is shuffle, f2 is slip, etc. I can never remember
the tools because I always use the Selector Tool but it's also something like
f7 but, once you set it, as long as you don't select another tool, it'll stay
the same tool.

The Edit and Timeline should always be linked and certainly, as I mentioned,
having the edit selection and track selection linked is helpful for VoiceOver
users.

If you uncheck "audio during fast forward and rewind" in the Preferences, the 1
and 2 keys will step you by bars if you're in bars/beats. The other thing you
can do is increase your nudge value to 1 bar and use the plus and minus keys on
the num pad to move forward and backward by 1 bar at a time.

If you're in bars/beats mode, press the nudge button in the counter display
cluster and type 1 on the num pad and press Enter. Now you're nudge value is 1
bar.

HTH,