Yes, I'll do some more experimenting. There is a plugin called Stutter
Edit made by the producer BT alongside iZotope. This could be
accessible since you can control this via a midi controller. I think
all the keys are automatically assigned to different patterns, effects
and speeds. This is available to trial for ten days. I will have a
look into it. There is some examples of Stutter Edit on
YOutube:.Here's a video of BT talking about Stutter Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WZeDLrMss0

I also use some really good VST plugins. I believe it is possible to
use VSt in ProTools nowadays with some kind of add on. I'll let you
know about these vSTs when I get home to my DAW. Again, these should
work in ProTools because the controls are automatable and you can use
midi to activate them.

I'll be back in touch soon with more findings.

--
http://www.davideagle.co.uk