Hi Krister,

OK, use something like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to clone your internal
drive to the external drive. To be truly diligent, it would be best to make yet
a third copy onto some other drive as well since you'll be erasing the original
internal drive. If you really, truly wanted to get super geeky about it, I'd
format the first external drive to be a bootable drive. In Disk Utility, you'll
need to create a single partition first then click the Options button to make
sure the drive is a bootable partition.

After making the clone, boot into the external drive just to make absolutely
sure the system is all there and your files are as well. Now, you can erase the
internal drive and use Disk Utility to partition the internal drive into 2
partitions. Depending on your drive size, you can allocate a smaller size to
the Lion partition. If you're only running Pro Tools on that drive, you can get
away with 30 GB or so. I'd give it as much as you can reasonably afford,
however. It's not a bad idea to have 50 GB or 100 GB available on that
partition, of course.

Go through the steps to install Lion as well as Mountain Lion on the other
partition. For the Mountain Lion installation, you'll be asked whether you want
to pull in information from from another computer or hard drive. That's when
you point to the external drive and suck in your previous operating system's
data.

The Mac Visionaries list can help with questions about the installation
process. Cheers!

Slau