in keyboard in system preferences you need to remap the positions of cmd and
option. What we consider the ALT key on windows is the  oPtion key  on the mac
keyboard, and what we consider the windows key is the apple or cmd key on the
mac.  So on the drop down menu for option, change it to command and the one for
command change it to option and it will work like a standard mac keyboard. If
you don't you will have to use control  and ALT for your voice over keys for
example.