Hi, everyone. Sorry this email is under Ashley Cox’s name, I’m not sure why
this happened when I put in PT Accessibility in the to field. I’ll try to
delete that next time I email the list.

I haven’t emailed this list in a long time, but I have a question about control
surfaces. I’m currently working at Rick Boggs' studio Audio Eyes part-time as
an audio engineer. We do postproduction work producing video description. I’ll
be going full time by next year and will be getting my own digital audio
workstation so I can work remotely from home or at the studio. I reopened my
case with DOR in California, and they will be purchasing this system for me. I
was planning to get the C24 control surface since that’s what we have at the
studio, and I’m really familiar with this board. But I was browsing on Google a
couple weeks ago and last night too. I found information about another control
surface made by Avid. I think it was introduced earlier this year or last year.
Its called the Avid S3 control surface. Have any of you guys used this before,
and do you know if this is accessible with Voiceover? I’ve never seen the S3
control surface. I’ve used the C24 at the studio many times, so I’m very
familiar with using that board.

I know Rick told me if I get the C24, I would have to purchase a separate desk
for the console. I know the S3 is a much smaller control surface compared to
the C24, but I wasn’t sure which one would be the best option for me to use
with ProTools. Does the S3 come with its own desk, or do you need to purchase
it separately?

I’ve heard the S3 is EUCON enabled which is cool, so you can use this with
other applications besides ProTools like Logic or Digital Performer. This board
has 16 channels you can work with instead of 24. I’m not sure though if the S3
has a lot of analog controls like the C24 or not. I’ve read that the S3 doesn’t
have a lot of audio editing functions though, so I think I’d have to get the
Artist Transport to use for editing and recording. I like that the C24 includes
the transport controls as well as the jog wheel, and the scrub and shuttle
modes all in one unit. Is the Artist Transport a good device to use for editing?

Let me know what you guys think. I’d like to get a control surface I can use
and that’s still supported by Avid for at least five years or longer. Should I
go with the C24, or the Avid S3?
Thanks.
Katie