I doubt the color matters, and those Gibson-style bridges are easy enough to adjust. Each string has a screw for intonation adjustment and the bridge has a thumb screw at each end for action (string height) adjustment.

A lot of this is easy enough, once you get someone to show you the correct processes. yes, that includes adjusting the trus rod. Feeler gauges may help if you want to keep track of your ideal string height, for example. The thumb screws can be turned by hand. A small Philips or slot screwdriver adjusts the individual saddle screws when setting intonation. Your guitar may have come with the correct tool for adjusting the trus rod. Never adjust more than a quarter turn - an eighth of a turn would be better - and always give the guitar time to settle after each adjustment before re-evaluating the amount of neck curvature.

At 07:12 PM 1/1/2016, you wrote:
It's an Epiphone SG Series. I dono if this matters, but it's the one they made that's dark solid red in color.

Chris.

----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:i...@sparrowsound.com.au>Steve Sparrow
To: <mailto:ptaccess@googlegroups.com>ptaccess@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, January 01, 2016 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: Question about recording guitar

yeah, it’s a bit of tryale and error. Generally i much prefer a guitar tech to do this work. But i have gotten myself out of trouble. What sort of guitar do you have, if it’s a stratt or Tele, there are 6 little screws on the back of the bridge. These adjust the string length. So normally what i do is hit the string open, and then play the harmonic on the 12th fret, and compare the pitch of the two notes. I think a tuner would make it easy for a sighted person. If the harmonic is flat, then get a little screw driver and turn the screw clockwise, and the oppersit way if it’s sharp. But you won’t need to turn it much, maybe an 8th of a turn or less.

How ever having said that, if you have never been shown how to do this, may be best to get some sighted assistance first from someone who’d done this before.

There may be lots of reasons why the intonation is out, yes the harmonics will help, and are very much a part of the set up. but it could be something to do with a nec adjustment swell. I don’t play around with that at all.
Steve