Kevin might can explain better than I could what was going on, as we worked
together and figured things out.  Thank you again, by the way for that.

Basically, just to recap, I was having issues where I tried selecting audio,
then copying it to the clipboard for pasting to another playlist on the same
track.  Essentially, I was trying to comp together a vocal track.

The problem was that when I'd move to my final master playlist and would try
pasting the audio I'd just copied, nothing was happening.  I'd confirmed that
in the track list table, my vocal audio track was selected, and it was.  Also
in the edit window, I confirmed my selecter tool was selected, and it was.  I
wasn't apparently doing a single thing wrong.  It just wasn't working.

Turns out, why the heck I didn't think to do this is beyond me, but Kevin
suggested that I deselect the track in the track list table by interacting with
the track list table, finding the track, then vo+spacing on it to deselect,
then select a different track, deselect that other track, then go back again
and reselect the vocal track.  Then!  Try copying, and finally pasting in that
other playlist.  What can I say.  Kevin? You've done it again!  Amazing!  that
worked!  Apparently, even though the vocal track was selected in the track list
table, for some really really weird reason, the audio itself wasn't getting
selected, so no audio was in escence, being copied to the clipboard to start
with.  I thought this was a Voiceover problem, but apparently, Kevin said it's
not  so.  I'm still slightly confused then what on earth caused this.  He tried
explaining, and I kind of get it, but not really.

Anyway, my point is, if you find that you're having issues with editting
tracks, take his suggestion.  deselect and reselect the tracks, then do your
edit, and see if that helps.  You just might be very surprised.