Hi Martin,

OK, I can now outline the steps one would need to take to edit tempo events to
some degree  in the tempo ruler. One caveat is that a utility like Keyboard
Maestro or Move Mouse  or some other such tool is fairly necessary to avoid
clicking in the dark, so to speak.

Here's a little background: The ruler which appears above the timeline in the
Edit window can be set to display several lanes of information. Whatever the
Main counter displays is going to be the default for the ruler and the ruler is
always showing at least one type of info: bars/beats, minutes/seconds, etc.
When anything other than bars/beats, minutes/seconds or any other time or
length-based ruler is being displayed, it's possible to select or edit the
events within that ruler. This includes things like meter changes, tempo
changes, markers, etc. Visually, one can double-click an event icon and edit
the event in the resulting dialog. Also, one can click in the ruler to create
an insertion point to select a range of events. It's also possible to select
clips in addition to the ruler events. I'll get to that in a moment. First,
let's say you wanted to select all events within the tempo ruler to move them 2
bars later. Here's what you would need to do to prepare and perform that task:

1. Go to the Rulers submenu under the view menu and select "Minimal." This will
show only one type of ruler, your default for the session. Let's assume it's
bars and beats.
2. Now go to the same submenu again and choose "Tempo." This will display a
second ruler in the ruler area which will show tempo events.
3. In the Edit window, go to the Add Tempo Change button. You can find it
easily by bringing up the Item Chooser and typing "add."
This is where you'll need to use Keyboard Maestro or some other reliable tool
to move the mouse pointer a half inch to the right to click inside the tempo
ruler. However you get past this point is up to you but that's the goal.
4. Move a half inch to the right and click with the mouse pointer. Now an
insertion cursor will appear in the tempo ruler. At this point you can type in
a location for the main counter or press Return to get to the beginning of the
session. In other words, just as you would work with audio selection, you can
select a range that will affect the events within that range. So, since we want
to select all events…
5. Press Return to get to the top of the session and press Shift-Option-Return
to select the entire timeline for the session. At this point, you can do a few
things. You can cut or use the nudge controls to move everything. How you do
this is up to you but there are a few ramifications. If you have audio recorded
and it is tick-based, it's going to move based on what the tempo changes are.
If you have an initial tempo event at the top of the session, it might be a
wise choice to select the events in the ruler not from the beginning of the
session but from bar 2 or whatever is appropriate. That way, any timing for
initial audio won't be affected.
6. The point is, you can now paste or nudge or do whatever you wish to the
events in this ruler. When you're done, the insertion will still be located in
the ruler so the best way of eliminating it is to simply hide the ruler. Go to
the Rulers menu again and choose "Minimal."

Now, let's say if you wanted to move audio and MIDI along with the tempo
events. What you'd need to do is extend the insertion point within the timeline
to include the ruler above. To do this, you'll need to Shift-click on the ruler
in question. So, what you would do is follow the steps above while making sure
the audio and MIDI tracks are selected. When you get to the part where you
click inside the tempo ruler, add the Shift modifier. Now, anything you do in
terms of cutting and pasting or nudging, etc. will affect the events in the
ruler as well as the audio and MIDI tracks. Much like before, you'll want to
hide the ruler when you no longer want to edit or affect the events in that
ruler.

Hope that helps.

Slau