On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 08:32:11AM +0200, Arno Euteneuer wrote:
> I thought this would be nice to have in the stable release but unfortunately
> don't know how to submit this as a regular ptxdist patch. Maybe my findings
> can
> help nevertheless :
>
> Python on my target did not have the readline functionality in interactive
> mode
> and I found that during crosscompiling the header files "readline.h" and
> "history.h" were missing. I was able to fix that by installing a symbolic
> link
> into OSELAS/local-host/include named "readline" and pointing to
> OSELAS/build-target/readline-5.0
>
>  > cd ~/OSEALS/local-host/include
>  > ln -s ../../build-target/readline-5.0 readline
>
> A subsequent
>  > ptxdist clean python24; ptxdist go
> finally resulted in a python on the target that included readline.

It's a conceptual thing: packets with huge dependencies for system
libraries like python do a lot of autoprobing (find out if libsomething
is there, then build the python wrappers for it). So if Python is built
early, it finds less libraries than when it is built late.

We maybe need something like a separation into libs and apps, then build
all libs first and then all apps. But I doubt it will catch all cases,
as there are surely packets out there which are both, lib and app.

Could you look how other distributions handle that case? It may give us
some hints what to do.

Robert
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9