Robert Schwebel wrote:

> It's a conceptual thing: packets with huge dependencies for system
> libraries like python do a lot of autoprobing (find out if libsomething
> is there, then build the python wrappers for it). So if Python is built
> early, it finds less libraries than when it is built late.

you "just" have to add all dependencies libs and the corresponding
--with/without and/or --enable/disable switches....

> We maybe need something like a separation into libs and apps, then build
> all libs first and then all apps. But I doubt it will catch all cases,
> as there are surely packets out there which are both, lib and app.

> Could you look how other distributions handle that case? It may give us
> some hints what to do.

gentoo has useflags. It a globaly "i want to use readline" or "i don't
want to use it"

Marc

--
  Dipl.-Ing. Marc Kleine-Budde | http://www.pengutronix.de
     Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686