Juergen Beisert wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> On Thursday 01 November 2007 16:26, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> Gary Thomas wrote:
>>> I'm interested in testing 1.0.1, using a stand-alone PC
>>> as a WWW "kiosk" for an example.
>>>
>>> It's unclear to me all the steps I need to follow. I've
>>> downloaded the 1.0.1 release, along with the patches and
>>> I'm using the 1.0.0 projects (there is no 1.0.1 project
>>> set although the install notes said there would be).  I
>>> also downloaded the CrossTool project
>>>
>>> (http://www.pengutronix.de/oselas/crosstool/download/OSELAS.Crosstool-1.0
>>> .1.tar.gz)
>
> Better use the OSELAS.Toolchain-Project. It supports more recent toolchains,
> the crosstool part is outdated.

I got started on this, but ran into some troubles.  The GCC snapshot
gcc-4.2-20070207 is no longer available, so I tried to build the tools
using the released version of gcc-4.2.2.  This went pretty well, until
I tried to build busybox:

/opt/OSELAS.Toolchain-1.1.0/i586-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-4.2.2-glibc-2.5-kernel-2.6.18/sysroot-i586-unknown-linux-gnu/usr/include/sys/syscall.h:32:27:
error: bits/syscall.h: No such file or directory

So, it looks like some pieces are missing.

Any ideas? help?

>>> Here are the steps I think I need to take:
>>>
>>> * Build a set of cross-tools (I know that for a standard
>>>   PC as the target this isn't strictly necessary)
>>> * Configure my target
>>>   - Basic, simple, stand-alone environment
>>>   - Including X + firefox
>>> * Build
>>> * Deploy
>>>   - Initially using an NFS root file system for testing
>
> Correct.
>
> Did you download one of the OSELAS.BSPs from our website? Their quickstart
> guide you through the steps how to get a toolchain, get the project to be
> built and get the target up and running. These steps are always required and
> they do not depend on the architecture.
>
>>> I've downloaded all of the application notes.  While these
>>> are useful, they don't quite give me enough to complete the
>>> task above.
>>>
>>> n.b. I've been using ptxdist since 0.6 days and deploy it
>>> on my embedded targets (PPC) all the time, but I have limited
>>> experience with the new version (1.0.1) and never anything
>>> as ambitious as what I've outlined above.
>>>
>>> Any help/pointers/guidance graciously accepted.  Thanks
>> BTW, once I get this all figured out, I'm planning on writing
>> a tutorial/guide which I'll be glad to donate/publish.
>
> Sounds great. I wrote most of the other app notes and I need some help to
> keep
> them up to date and add some useful information into them. So please write
> down your questions to create some kind of FAQ or generic quickstart.

Can you point me to the sources/setup you used to create these
Application Notes?  I'll see what I can do to help improve/update
them.