On 2012-03 -24, at 00:47, Pat Hayes wrote:

> I am sympathetic, but...
>
> On Mar 23, 2012, at 9:59 AM, Dave Reynolds wrote:
>

>> The proposal is that URI X denotes what the publisher of X says it denotes,
>> whether it returns 200 or not.
>
> And what if the publisher simply does not say anything about what the URi
> denotes? After all, something like 99.999% of the URIs on the planet lack
> this information. What, if anything, can be concluded about what they denote?
> The http-range-14 rule provides an answer to this which seems reasonably
> intuitive. What would be your answer? Or do you think there should not be any
> 'default' rule in such cases?

Exactly.
For example, To take an arbitrary one of the trillions out there, what does
http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/readfile?fk_files=2372108&pageno=11
 identify, there being no RDF in it?
What can I possibly do with that URI if the publisher has not explicitly
allowed me to use it
to refer to the online book, under your proposal?