Eric

strewth.
hmm....not sure, and on the grounds you should ask people who know if you don't know, I just emailed Rolf Apweiler, Ewan Birney and Arek Kasprzyk to see if they would hazard a guess for at least the public databases.

I'll also ask our local proteomics and microarray people about their local scale-ups.

on another note
We use LSIDs in Taverna and one workflow - say for a gene alert and annotation protocol - will produce in the order of thousands of data objects, all with an LSID :-) And we run the workflows over and over and over again. If you labelled every microarray probe with an LSID your gonna get 50K+ in one array......

Carole

As per today's Telcon, does any person with genomics knowledge (that includes you too Carole) have estimates for the following numbers:

1. How many bio-molecular and organism-anatomical-functional entities and records (broad sense) are currently accessible through the web (excluding LIMS entities, such as samples, for now)?

2. Does this number grow substantially when it is allowed to include every variant of protein, gene, etc. per species (i.e., not instances of real molecules or organisms)?

I think these would be quite useful for other W3C members to be aware of, since some proposed mechanisms would require their global indexing...

Eric