Dear Bill et al.,

Thanks for the articles and the explanation. I agree that we should consider mutliple brain regions in the case of Parkinson's Disease (as well as other neurological diseases). I just gave a specific example (purkinje cell is located in cerebellum). There are other types of neurons located in other brain regions. At the ontology level, we probably should have a neuron class that has an "is_located_in" property linking to the brain-region class (neuronames can be a candidate standard taxonomy of brain regions). Also you mentioned that neuron has another property "contains". For example, dopaminergic_neuron contains tyrosine_hydroxylase which is an enzyme. The interesting question here is that should we treat tyrosine_hydroxylase as a subclass or instance of the enzyme class? Also, another related question is that what can a neuron contain (pigment is not an enzyme)? Just my 2-cent thought.

Best,

-Kei

William Bug wrote:

Absolutely, thanks Kei!

Though - for Parkison's - we're going to need to deal with neurons in the substantia nigra and the locus coeruleus. For instance, see:

Relationship among alpha-synuclein accumulation, dopamine synthesis, and neurodegeneration in Parkinson disease substantia nigra.
Mori F, Nishie M, Kakita A, Yoshimoto M, Takahashi H,  Wakabayashi K
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16896314&query_hl=32&itool=pubmed_docsum <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16896314&query_hl=32&itool=pubmed_docsum>

One of the problems with these areas of the brain is the cell types are much less clearly characteristic than cerebellar Purkinje neurons. They aren't completely without distinctive character and some details can be given, as they are in the above research article:

:neuron :contains :pigment
:neuron :contains :tyrosine_hydroxylase

It's just neither of these are properties commonly used to classify neuronal type, though the latter is a property of:

:neuron :is_a :dopaminergic_neuron

but as Gordon Shepherd and Michele Migliore have pointed out, this tradition of typing neurons by transmitter is very problematic:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=11988775&query_hl=35&itool=pubmed_docsum <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=11988775&query_hl=35&itool=pubmed_docsum>

Oops - time to call in.

Cheers,
Bill