Hi Vipul,

Thanks for the clarification on the notes.

See below for comments:

Dan

Kashyap, Vipul wrote:

Dan,
Thanks for pointing this out. Would like to clarify that these notes are taken by a scribe in a telcon and sometimes the context of the statement is not captured accurately.

    To correct the mis-statement: The HL7 Observation standards for
    EMR's have been in use since the 1990's in both HL7 2.x standards
    and the new HL7 RIM-based standards found in CDA documents and
    other RIM-based standards. These RIM-based standards are now
    chosen by national government bodies including US (ONC contracts),
    Canada (Infoway), Australia (NEHTA), and the UK (NHS). Therefore,
    there are widely used standards for observations in EMR design.
[VK] The specific context in which this comment was made was
    that of clinical decision support and clinical research protocols.
    For the most part HL7 standards used for interoperability and storage.
            Specifically Detailed Clinical Models have been developed
    by Stan Huff et. al. for clinical decision support and
    documentation, use cases for which HL7 2.x standards are typically
    not used (correct me if I am wrong).
            At the same time, DCMs are HL7 compliantl and I believe
    are going through the standards process within HL7. So in some
sense they might be "future HL7 standards". <dan> Clinical decision support has long been implemented with HL7
    Arden in commercial products that describequeries against
    databases populated with HL7 2.x observations. These queries could
    not be standardized in the HL7 2.x environment, but the
    observations themselves often were standardized in OBX segments
    utilizing LOINC codes. That is not to argue that 2.x observation
    models or Arden decision support models are optimum in today's
    environment. We just need to recognize the history before
    inventing something new. Regarding Detailed Clinical Models...The
    current standards in HL7 CCD use templateID's to specify templated
    clinical structures. These are the standards today for composite
    observations that need to be taken into account.. As you suggest,
    Detailed Clinical Model work may have some impact on future HL7
    standards, but most DCM are compositions of observations. Not
    quite the same as the simple observation itself. One might look at
    HL7 Care Record Query messages for standards on querying composite
    observations. </dan>

    Hope the work of the Clinical Observation Interoperability group
    makes sure that an effort is made to harmonize clinical trial
    observation standards with both of these older, widely-used HL7
    standards for patient care....Dan
    [VK] Absolutely, our goal is to re-use and incorporate widely
    used standards such as HL7/DCM and SDTM using Semantic Web
    specifications.
            Will be great if some folks from the Clinical side of
    Oracle could participate in this activity.

<dan> I'll forward to the Oracle Clinicals crowd />

Cheers, ---Vipul
The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.