On Mar 26, 2009, at 10:45 AM, Phillip Lord wrote:

Pat Hayes <pha...@ihmc.us> writes:
Besides which, the issue being discussed here is one of equality. When
are two proteins the same protein?

TWO proteins are never the same protein. Two mangelwurzels are never the same mangelwurzel, either. What 'same' means, is that there is ONE thing with two names. Being the same as is never a relationship between two different
things.

This is obvious; the question is about types of proteins. A statement
like: "every protein molecule in the world is different from every other
protein molecule" is true, but more or less totally useless.

I agree, but I have no idea why you keep harping on about molecules. I didn't mention molecules.

We are talking about proteins not protein molecules

Indeed, we are. Glad we have that clear.

; if I give you a
solution of protein molecules, all the same, and you split it into two
halves, do you now suddenly have two proteins?

No, of course not. You have two pieces of the same material. (This is all very standard ontological stuff, by the way: mereology 101)

Protein is a mass term. You would agree that two glasses of water both
hold the same substance; just so for protein.

Quite.

The question is, then,
when are two samples of protein, samples of the same protein.

I don't know the answer to that (not being a chemist) but I do know what it *means to say* they are the same protein, which is all we need for writing ontologies.

secondary question is, how do we represent this computationally.

You could use, for example, owl:sameAs. Provided of course that 'proteins' were in your ontology.

I fail to see what you see as being any problem here. These 'issues' about mass terms were all fully worked out decades ago.

Pat

We are going around in circles here; I think that I have said enough.

Phil