On Apr 23, 2009, at 11:51 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Nikunj Mehta wrote:
On Apr 23, 2009, at 1:47 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:18:40 +0200, Ian Hickson <i...@hixie.ch> wrote:
The draft got published today, so it's too late to change the
high-profile version of the spec. Rather than add this message, I'd
like to just come to some sort of conclusion on the issue. What are
the various proposals that exist to solve this problem other than
SQL, and how willing are the browser vendors to implement those
solutions?

FWIW, Opera is primarily interested in implementing the APIs currently in the specification (including the SQL API). Specifying the specifics of the SQL dialect in due course would be good though, but doing that
does not seem very controversial and I would assume is a requirement
for going to Last Call.

I am puzzled that you feel that specifying the semantics for the SQL
dialect would be straightforward. We have no experience of using more
than a single database implementation for WebStorage.

That's pretty much why it would be straightforward.

Its kind of interesting that the WG is attempting to standardize that
which has no more than a single implementation.

Most things in the W3C get standardised (to LC or CR) before they have
even one. Having one at all is generally considered a bonus. :-)

That does simplify things for me and should help the proposal I am to make tomorrow.