On Nov 18, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 9:35 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <m...@apple.com> wrote: Further: if the other vendors planning to ship Web Database implementations (Google, Opera

What they are going to ship is mostly the same implementation as yours.

It sounds like Opera intends to use the same database engine, but I would be very surprised if they used any of our code that implements the API, threading, query management, etc. As I've mentioned before, that is a substantial amount of code, and is the part that implements what the Web Database actually specifies.

But I agree that it's premature to abandon WebDatabase. You should have a chance to spec out the SQL dialect. There is negligible risk of anyone significant implementing WebDatabase unaware of the objections. There is a greater risk that authors will come to depend on it because they think it's headed for spec status, but implementations and marketing will encourage that anyway.

Some authors have already come to depend on it without really caring about the future or present spec status. I don't think we can stuff that genie back in the bottle.

Regards,
Maciej