Hi,

I'm very interested in the PEP xep, in particular in combination with the User
Activity XEP. However, I have a few remarks about the specification as it is.
Also, maybe it is just me, but I can't seem to find any meaningful
implementation of PEP among existing clients and servers. The best I could do
is with tigase and psi: I enabled the "Publish tunes" in the psi client and I
could indeed see that the xml was pushed to another client in the XML console.
But that's about it: an XML message in a debugging console. I think pep is
pretty cool and I wonder why it's not given a bit more attention from
implementors.

Now to my remarks:

First off, it is my feeling that providing a fixed activity list, even if it
can be supplemented by way of a catch-all <other/> category, is very arbitrary
and that many people might feel very reluctant to log their activities as
dictated by a such an authoritative list. Further organizing that list in a
two-level hierarchy is also very constraining: why wouldn't people want to
organize their activities in much deeper hierarchies? I had a look at
onesocialweb's attempt to use activitystreams for that, but that format seems
to be bound to the same limitations.

Now to something more important: as I understand it publishing activities is an
all-or-nothing option: subscribers can optionally filter out activities they
are not interested in, but I cannot myself choose which activities I'd like to
share with a specific friend or group of friends. That's too bad: I was
thinking of activities as a way to share statistics - sports statistics for
example, and I don't want to potentially bother everyone with these statistics
(or force them to filter them out). Another use would be for me to share some
bad habit, like alcool, smoking or drug use for example, while seeking support
from a (potentially anonymous) group of people who share the habit. In that
case, I obviously wouldn't even want others to know that I have that kind of
behaviour.

My third remark is on statistics: aside from the type of activity, there's a
lot of additional info that users are likely to be wanting to track, if they
bother to log their activity in the first place: let's mention: duration of an
exercising session, amount spent on a meal, title of book being read, etc... It
would be great to allow people to add such information.

I already have some ideas on how to address some of these issues, but as
suggested on j...@conference.jabber.org, I will now stick to just mentioning
the "problem I'd like to solve rather than suggesting how it might be solved".

best,

Candide