On 16 Aug 2010, at 16:00, Dave Cridland wrote:

> On Sun Aug 15 12:21:15 2010, Candide Kemmler wrote:
>> I'm very interested in the PEP xep, in particular in combination with the
>> User Activity XEP. However, I have a few remarks about the specification as
>> it is. Also, maybe it is just me, but I can't seem to find any meaningful
>> implementation of PEP among existing clients and servers. The best I could
>> do is with tigase and psi: I enabled the "Publish tunes" in the psi client
>> and I could indeed see that the xml was pushed to another client in the XML
>> console. But that's about it: an XML message in a debugging console. I think
>> pep is pretty cool and I wonder why it's not given a bit more attention from
>> implementors.
> I think it depends on the client. I personally find Gajim is doing very well
> here, publishing and displaying information as the "rich presence" it was
> intended to be.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be a real pain to try to run Gajim on my Mac,
so I will have to trust your word for it :(

>> Now to my remarks:
>> First off, it is my feeling that providing a fixed activity list, even if it
>> can be supplemented by way of a catch-all <other/> category, is very
>> arbitrary and that many people might feel very reluctant to log their
>> activities as dictated by a such an authoritative list. Further organizing
>> that list in a two-level hierarchy is also very constraining: why wouldn't
>> people want to organize their activities in much deeper hierarchies? I had a
>> look at onesocialweb's attempt to use activitystreams for that, but that
>> format seems to be bound to the same limitations.
> I think "machine readable" is the constraint here. If you've an alternate
> form that manages to provide machine processing and yet allows greater
> expressivity, this would be interesting. Since I gave up, I no longer have
> the major problem of not being able to say I'm drinking beer *and* having a
> smoke, though, so I'm not so concerned...

IMO User Activities can be interesting for instrospective behavioral analysis.
I mentioned a couple use-cases: substance abuse, eating disorders or more
commonly, exercising... There are user activities that are potentially
fascinating to track. But that would probably need some marketing, i.e. I don't
think that current generic jabber clients are going to make a very good job at
explaining how to best take advantage of that feature. Nonetheless I find that
the decentralized nature of xmpp makes it a perfect fit for privacy aware users.

>> Now to something more important: as I understand it publishing activities is
>> an all-or-nothing option: subscribers can optionally filter out activities
>> they are not interested in, but I cannot myself choose which activities I'd
>> like to share with a specific friend or group of friends. That's too bad: I
>> was thinking of activities as a way to share statistics - sports statistics
>> for example, and I don't want to potentially bother everyone with these
>> statistics (or force them to filter them out). Another use would be for me
>> to share some bad habit, like alcool, smoking or drug use for example, while
>> seeking support from a (potentially anonymous) group of people who share the
>> habit. In that case, I obviously wouldn't even want others to know that I
>> have that kind of behaviour.
> Well, the activity node *can* be filtered out to only specific people, but
> it's not often a feature available in the server - changing the access model
> and configuration of the PEP node will allow this.

As I understand it, pubsub allows several access models for nodes, one of them
being for example "whitelist". Yes, but that still means that everyone can
_see_ the node, hence anyone would see that I'm tracking, let's say, my eating
habits, and I don't want that.

> It won't, however, allow anonymous activity information - for that, you
> really need to send the events via some anonymizing system, like a MUC.
>
> I'd also note that specialized information really means a specialized client
> (or rather, one that understands the PEP node you're trying to use), and PEP
> makes that easy to do.

That is very clear.

>> My third remark is on statistics: aside from the type of activity, there's a
>> lot of additional info that users are likely to be wanting to track, if they
>> bother to log their activity in the first place: let's mention: duration of
>> an exercising session, amount spent on a meal, title of book being read,
>> etc... It would be great to allow people to add such information.
> I don't think there's anything preventing you from adding extra information
> there, except that you may well not want to receive all that information.
>
> I do quite like the notion of advertising the book I'm reading, for instance,
> but I wouldn't put that in User Activity, I'd put that somewhere else - much
> like User Tune isn't bundled into Activity.

Well then, that opens up for a whole infinite list of XEPs, one for every kind
of activity. That's essentially the problem I'm trying to solve: IMO "Personal
Eventing Protocol" should allow people to state all sorts of events that are
affecting their lives, according to _them_. The key word here is probably
semantics. There must be a way for users to create their own semantics for
events they deem enough important for them to track. I'm thinking along the
lines of _basic_ semantic web stuff, like: users should be able to create
statement types, like say: "reading" [book_title] [book_author]? [isbn]?, or
"ran" [distance] "miles", etc... then share the statement types so other user
can use them as well if they want to.