    *From:* Richard Geddes <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    *To:* General PulseAudio Discussion
    <mailto:pulseaudio-discuss@mail.0pointer.de>
    *Sent:* Tuesday, June 03, 2008 6:02 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [pulseaudio-discuss] Help in setting up PA... SOLVED

    Now as I understand it, when linux starts,

    1) there is a program called hald (hardware abstraction layer
daemon) that identifies the hardware attached to your computer. In the output of aplay, each card is given an identifier... "tarjeta {0 -3}"

    2) other programs like pa use the info hald provides to make
    decisions about how to use the hardware.

    In the case of tarjeta 2  - EWX2496  using the ice1712 driver
    (this same chip is in my tarjeta), apparently pulseaudio or hald
    did not identify it correctly, and when trying to connect to this
    tarjeta, pa realizes this and says no.

    The default global pa config file (/etc/pulse/default.pa) in
    ubuntu has these statements:

    .ifexists module-hal-detect.so
    load-module module-hal-detect
    .else
    load-module module-detect
    .endif

which is a means of auto-detecting the tarjetas on your system. Let's change this:

    1) make a copy of your original global config file
        cd /etc/pulse/
        sudo cp default.pa default.pa.original

    2) comment out the lines that deal with auto detecting the
    tarjetas (the lines above)

    3) Add these lines in it's place:     sudo [vi,gedit,...] default.pa
    ------------
    # Load the devices:
    load-module module-alsa-sink sink_name=nvidia_out device=hw:0
    load-module module-alsa-source source_name=nvidia_in device=hw:0

    load-module module-alsa-sink sink_name=hdmi_out device=hw:1
    load-module module-alsa-source source_name=hdmi_in device=hw:1

    load-module module-alsa-sink sink_name=ewx2496_out device=hw:2
    channels=10
    channel_map=left,right,aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7
    load-module module-alsa-source source_name=ewx2496_in device=hw:2
    channels=12
    channel_map=left,right,aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7,aux8,aux9

    load-module module-alsa-sink sink_name=e192m_out device=hw:3
    load-module module-alsa-source source_name=e192m_in device=hw:3

    # Select default device
    set-default-sink nvidia_out
    set-default-source nvidia_in
    ------------------------

    Note: We are telling pa to use devices identified by your system
    labeled hw:{0,1,2,3}... nothing special, except for the ewx2496
    that uses the ice1712 device driver.  This is the same chip my
    tarjeta uses, and in that case I had to add extra information
    about the chip... the part that says "channel_map=..."  I'm not
    sure if the other tarjetas need special mappings or instructions,
    but give this a try.

    4) Restart pa ... in ubuntu, I would try "sudo
    /etc/init.d/pulseaudio {start,stop,...} and it would not give
    feedback if the server status had changed.  So I would use the pa
    manager (paman) to start/stop the pa server.  Frequently, I would
    not know if the server was still running and would use "ps aux |
    grep pulse" to check status.

    Let's see what happens

    Juan A Fuentes Bermudez wrote:
    1) Tell me which cards are identified by the alsamixer and which
    cards are identified by pa(pulseaudio).
asoundconf list
    Names of available sound cards:
    NVidia (identified by PA)
    HDMI
    EWX2496
    E192M (identified by PA)
    aplay -l
    **** Lista de PLAYBACK Dispositivos Hardware ****
    tarjeta 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], dispositivo 0: AD198x Analog
    [AD198x Analog]
      Subdispositivos: 1/1
      Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0
    tarjeta 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], dispositivo 1: AD198x Digital
    [AD198x Digital]
      Subdispositivos: 1/1
      Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0
    tarjeta 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], dispositivo 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
      Subdispositivos: 1/1
      Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0
    tarjeta 2: EWX2496 [TerraTec EWX24/96], dispositivo 0: ICE1712
    multi [ICE1712 multi]
      Subdispositivos: 1/1
      Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0
    tarjeta 3: E192M [ESI Waveterminal 192M], dispositivo 0: ICE1724
    [ICE1724]
      Subdispositivos: 1/1
      Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0
    tarjeta 3: E192M [ESI Waveterminal 192M], dispositivo 1: ICE1724
    Secondary [ICE1724 Secondary]
      Subdispositivos: 1/1
      Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0
    tarjeta 3: E192M [ESI Waveterminal 192M], dispositivo 2: ICE1724
    Surrounds [ICE1724 Surround PCM]
      Subdispositivos: 3/3
      Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0
      Subdispositivo #1: subdevice #1
      Subdispositivo #2: subdevice #2
2) Can you make sound with your speakers with pa and the cards
    that it does identify?
    yes i need to route the sound thru the no identified sound cards
    via PA
when i por example, play a mp3, i can route via alsa the sound
    thru devices that no identified in PA, i am sure that card is
    runing correctly