On 7 Jun 2011, at 00:12, Daniel Pittman <dan...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> […]
>> For now, though, I will get that merged in the next few minutes.
>
> Damn.  So, I was going through the last little steps in testing this
> after I merged it locally, before pushing, and we ran into a set of
> concerns that we don't have time to address right now.  Specifically,
> there are two concrete issues we are worried about here:
>
> One, we are concerned that there might be cases where this adds the
> gem path, but not everything on the Ruby $LOAD_PATH, to the locations
> our autoloader (or one of the other open-coded implementations of the
> same) hunt for things on disk.  That should be easy enough to verify,
> but we want (someone) to audit that before this gets merged.
>
> Two, we are concerned that this potentially adds trouble when someone
> has two copies of Puppet installed, one through RubyGems, and the
> other through an OS package, or from source, or something like that.
> This introduces a new path that code can get loaded, and it isn't at
> all clear which will win from the outside.
>
> We have a cluster of other issues in the area, though: we need to be
> able to pluginsync faces and actions, as well as utility functions; we
> want to make sure we have consistent search paths to avoid the "face
> discovered, but can't be loaded" showing up in another guise, and that
> sort of thing.

My main reason for going down this road is cos pluginsync is all or nothing. I
want to extend the master but the nodes as the nodes won't have the
dependencies to run a specific function for example.  Something to keep in mind
if we are going to rethink how this stuff works.

And so there is a class of extension that the current systems dont cater for.
See my usual complaints about adding P::Util classes for example