So to translate from the bug report, it sounds like we're going to (go
back to?) representing :undef as nil inside Ruby?

Whether that be templates or the Ruby DSL?

is that right?

I feel like this is the right thing to do. :undef is all we have to
represent nil in the Puppet DSL, and it's a bit torturous moving
between Ruby and the DSL when :undef isn't nil.

Are we going to deprecate this for all of Telly and then change it in
the next major release? Given the amount of anecdotal pain we've had
in this area, is it feasible to admit we got this wrong and start
deprecating in 2.7.x ?

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Chris Price <ch...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm reviewing a ticket related to how we handle "undef" when it is passed to
> a puppet function.  The current behavior is to convert it to an empty string
> before passing it off to the function body, but I'm not sure that's the
> right thing to do as it seems to eliminate the ability to handle some valid
> use cases where there is a semantic distinction between "undef" and the
> empty string.
>
> This behavior has been discussed before--about a year ago--and it seems like
> there were some folks in favor of the current empty-string approach.  I'd
> welcome comments on the ticket!
>
> http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/13210
>
> Thanks
> Chris