On Apr 17, 2012, at 9:15 AM, R.I.Pienaar wrote:

>> What I am trying to address is issue of what it means for a node to
>> shadow a top-scope variable. Another possible solution is that we
>> just remove node from the language. Then the entire issue goes away,
>> but everything is still possible and probably a lot clearer.
>
> Yes, I get that.  But rethinking how we do variables all together would
> avoid the problem you're trying to fix.
>
> I think having a node variable merge in with top scope variables might
> be acceptable in most cases - its roughly how things used to be have - but
> its magical and weird and just not clear whats going on.

I'm not sure magical is the right word here, but I agree that allowing nodes to
be a scope that is not a scope might just sow confusion.

> Having that magical behavior supports how people tend to use puppet but it
> also tends to support the common pitfalls people have with puppet as it
> encourages a bad design of code.
>
> We should either say we have a data story that revolves around:
>
> - facts
> - parameterized classes
> - ENCs and systems like Hiera
>
> these are all hard non magical things, you know where your variables come
> from. You know what they are and what can override them.  Mix in the @facts
> style syntax and this story becomes even clearer.
>
> If we were to expand this list to include:
>
> - magical node variables that can override top scope vars in some cases
>

> Then it's quite clear to me which is the elephant in the room and shouldnt
> be there.

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not and on what. Since we might be
seeing different elephants in the room, could you spell you what it is and what
should be done with it?