I'd like to add a vote to the direction that RI and James are taking this.

Variables have been painful from the beginning and it would be nice to
have a seriously concrete system to work with.

When making this decision, please look at how class auto-scoping
(modules/foo vs. modules/bar/foo) will affect things and how these
variables will be referenced from templates. If we have to type a mile
long string to get to a variable, it's going to make for much more
difficult to debug and maintain code.

Thanks,

Trevor

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM, James Turnbull <ja...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
>> We should either say we have a data story that revolves around:
>>
>> - facts
>> - parameterized classes
>> - ENCs and systems like Hiera
>>
>> these are all hard non magical things, you know where your variables come
>> from. You know what they are and what can override them.  Mix in the @facts
>> style syntax and this story becomes even clearer.
>>
>> If we were to expand this list to include:
>>
>>  - magical node variables that can override top scope vars in some cases
>>

>> Then it's quite clear to me which is the elephant in the room and shouldnt
>> be there.
>>

> Whilst I'm not so keen on the @facts syntax I agree with RI. We already
> have magic variables (which have changed their magical properties
> several times since my involvement with the project) we don't need
> anymore magic.
>
> James
>
> --
> James Turnbull