On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Alex Harvey <alexharv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, December 17, 2012 4:44:23 PM UTC+11, James Polley wrote:
>>

>> Because this change would be backwards-incompatible, SemVer requires that
>> version with the fix increments the major version number, so this would
>> have to go into 2.0.0.
>>

> I guess that takes us back to what was discussed earlier in the thread -
> do we consider this a bugfix or a backwards incompatible change?

I don't think so.

http://semver.org/ is quite specific about this: you can increment the
patch version "if only backwards compatible bug fixes are introduced", the
minor version "if new, backwards compatible functionality is introduced to
the public API" - but "if any backwards incompatible changes are introduced
to the public API", "Major version X (X.y.z | X > 0) MUST be incremented"

My reading is that, even if this is just a bugfix, the fact that it's
backwards-incompatible requires a major version bump.

Personally, I regard it as a bug - the meaning of the fact is defined in